Saturday, April 29, 2017

Webcomics

I agree wholeheartedly with what you said in class: the future of comics is on the internet. I love buying printed issues and volumes of my favorite comics because I like having a physical copy. I like flipping through the pages and feeling them and seeing the art in person yada yada yada I sound like an old person. But I definitely feel that comics need to make the huge leap to becoming completely digital. Who knows how people are going to monetize on that, but to keep comics alive I think we have to make them (initially) digital.

But on the other hand, I'm not a big reader of webcomics. I haven't found many that I find particularly good or interesting, and many webcomic artists usually give up halfway (and the ones that give up always have the best comics). How I usually find comics is sifting through amazon or a comic store shelf to find anything that seems appealing. But here are a few webcomics I used to read or have kept up with.

A somewhat oldie but definitely a goodie is Ava's Demon. Honestly, I haven't kept up with it for a while but it's a great, ongoing work that I felt brought webcomics to a whole new level. Ava's Demon utilizes a digitally painted style as opposed to being simply drawn, so needless to say the art is gorgeous. But writer and artist Michelle Czajkwoski doesn't stop there. Ava's Demon includes animated scenes with composed music as well, adding a layer of immersion that print comics couldn't do (and only a few webcomics have attempted to do).



Monster Pop! is another webcomic that caught my attention. It's nothing hugely spectacular, but very very cute and relaxing to read. The main character is a cyclops girl named George, and Monster Pop! chronicles her adventures in going to a college with both monsters and humans. The comic is still being produced, and you can see the amount of progression artist Maya Kern has made from when the first chapter to the latest. I think it's a fun read with an interesting world.


If you're looking for a way to make sure the artist and author gets paid for their wonderful web work, comic Giant Days is a good place to start. Available for subscription on Comixology, the slice of life tale follows three college girls in the UK having all kinds of silly college adventures. A cartoony style, big personalities, and tender moments makes Giant Days a really fun read. The comic is also collected in volumes you can buy physically if you're like me and like to hold things like a weird person.


No comments:

Post a Comment